The Sweet Church, on County Road 415 N near Skinner Lake and Albion, will celebrate Homecoming Oct. 11, beginning with a 10:30 a.m. worship service with the Rev. Curry Ann Hostetler. A hog roast will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Contestants Sweet Church and Annex Oct 2012face off at noon for a pie eating contest and a cookie competition. A pie auction and entertainment begins at 1 p.m. Homemade ice cream will be served.

Sweet Church was built in  1875 by James Harvey. The non-denominational church, originally known as Jefferson Union Township Church, became known over the years as Sweet Church after James Sweet. He donated the land for the church and settled nearby. In 2001, after the church sate abandoned and subject to vandalism for decades, a group from the farming community decided to take action. The group bought the church and restoration began. The non-profit Sweet Church Community Organization was formed in 2002. The restored church building and new annex may be rented for parties, receptions, family reunions and other events. Go to www.sweetchurchcommunitycenter.com for information.

Categories: News